We are very excited to be launching a group trip to the Midwest Genealogical Center this fall, Sept 22-29th. This Center is located inside the Mid-Continent Public Library at 3440 S Lee’s Summit Road, Independence, MO 64055 (816-252-7228, www.mymcpl.org ) The Library is open 10 am – 8 pm, 7 days a week, although the MGC is open M-S 10 am -8 pm, but only open 1-8 pm on Sundays.
As in the past with our trips, there are some guidelines and requirements.
1. You must be a member of EGS to travel with the group. (Easy to join on our website eastsidegenealogicalsociety.org )
2. There is a $35 non-refundable registration fee to travel with the group. (This will cover the cost of our Meet and Greet on Tuesday, Sept 22nd which will include dinner.) Registration is available below.
Depending on the status of the coronavirus pandemic, this trip may be cancelled by the EGS board. Should the trip be cancelled by EGS, your deposit will be refunded.
3. A block of 15 rooms have been reserved in the name of EGS so when you make your hotel reservations, be sure to tell them you are part of our group. Then you will receive the discounted rate. Each person is responsible for their own hotel and travel reservations and costs.
Our hotel is the Best Western Truman Inn, 4048 S Lynn Ct Dr, Independence, MO 64055, 816-254-0100. Use this phone number to make your reservations. The price for this week is $558.03 per room including taxes and fees. There are 5 rooms with King beds and 10 rooms with 2 Queen sized beds. They have a free, hot breakfast, free parking and free WiFi. There is an outdoor pool and air conditioning.
Flights should be made through the Kansas City airport. There is no public transportation from the airport to Independence. There are, also, no hotels within walking distance of the Library. So taxis, Ubers, Lyfts, or car rentals will be needed on this trip.
If you want to share a room or a car, please let me know and I will let others know, also.
4. On the first day in the Library, we will be given a special orientation class and tour of the facility with instructions about the different genealogical collections and how to use them. Other special classes are in the making for us on the topics of the Confederate Papers Collection, the Civil War Database, and the Periodical Collection. (which is one of their particularly extensive collections.) More on those as they arrange for instructors.
5. Special event: We have been invited to spend one day at the Jackson County Genealogical Society Library nearby, so we can access their local records. We are invited to join their staff for dinner after their library closes for a no-host dinner to ‘talk shop’. We will need to rideshare for this activity.
6. The final day to register for this trip is August 16, 2020. The room rates will be good through that date.
7. There will be a mandatory meeting with all participants in late August, early September, where your Emergency Contact Form will be due. More on that meeting later.
Hope you will be joining us for a week or glorious research!
YES! I want to Register.
Registration for Research Trip
This is a non-refundable registration cost as described above.